For precise, I made an merge request for it.

  * Add fix-input-device-bar-status.patch (LP: #1285974)
    First enable input bar when an new input device is added, backport from
    unity-control-center.
    Second, disable input bar when there are not input devices.

Packages, which is subscribed to unity-control-center in Ubuntu.

  [soundnua]mic volume adjust bar is gray if you open sound-nua input
  tab earlier than plugging micphone

Status in GNOME Control Center:
  New
Status in OEM Priority Project:
  Confirmed
Status in “gnome-control-center” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “unity-control-center” package in Ubuntu:

  gnome-control-center 1:3.4.2-0ubuntu0.13.1 in precise updates.
  In laptop you can't reproduce this issue, cause there have 'Internal
Microphone' already.
  I find this issue im my PC, there are two jacks in front panel, input and
output.

  1. Install system and log in to Desktop
  2. Connect the headphone in front panel
  3. Open sound settings menu and click Input tab

  I made an screenshot for it.