kindly add to another appropriate package if needed.
xserver-xorg-video-intel

** Package changed: ubuntu => xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in Ubuntu.

  XU 13.10 causing frequent laptop (acer 5620) hard lockups.

Status in “xserver-xorg-video-intel” package in Ubuntu:

  since upgrading from LTS to XU 13.04 & then XU 13.10 the acer laptop is
experiencing frequent hard lockups.
  one source of lockup has been GL screensaver, so I turned it off.  Still the
lockups happen
  Power management for AC is also off.
  The laptop does not run too hot, and the lid is up

  Is there a daemon that can catch the source of the lockups?

  I'm installing gnome system log viewer and are there log search terms
  to quickly find the trouble?

  I've checked the system with chkrootkit but it has a fatal flaw

  Checking `aliens'...
  /bin/egrep: /dev/.bootchart/proc/sysrq-trigger: Input/output error

  the same machine does not lock up under Linux Mint 15 MATE. kernel 3.8.0.xx

  Memory is tested often. 2GB
  Hard disk has no errors and is tested monthly
  System has been put through "crashme"  and CPU intensive operations in order
to raise tempurature, system remains stable.

  Most likely times of lockups are:
  - system left idle on AC and power manager is set to no suspend & GL
screensaver activated (will lockup less often with no screensaver activated)
  - view webm or flash videos via browser and have more than ~ 800MB RAM usage
  - run glxgears full screen with some RAM usage

  resulting hard lockup shows venetian blinds effect on screen.