To move menu item from one submenu to another it is needed to know the name of
destination submenu. It is in property Categories, i.e.
Categories=Application;Development;Java;IDE. Desktop (.desktop suffix) files
are located on two places:
~/.local/share/applications locally in your home and /usr/share/applications
globally. Compare the both directories, find out appropriate files and
synchronize them. I think, that they should be the same. In my case both files
were identical, but in /usr/share/applications was attribute Hidden=true, so i
remove it to be both files identical.

The second case is, if the .desktop file is only in local menu. Check it
and add Categories property if needed. Remove Hidden property or set it
false. Check duplicities (many items has name alacarte-made-nn.desktop)
check them, rename them, remove duplicities!

Packages, which is subscribed to alacarte in Ubuntu.

  Ubuntu 13.10 Main Menu editor Problem

Status in One Hundred Papercuts:
  Confirmed
Status in “alacarte” package in Ubuntu:

  I just ungraded to *Ubuntu 13.10* using ) *Gnome (classic) Desktop*.

  The [Main Menu] editor does NOT work properly.

  I cannot ADD items.

  I CAN edit and move existing items only.