Please follow the instructions of the section "CUPS error_log" on
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingPrintingProblems for a print job with
which you observe the problem. Do not compress the error_log file when
you attach it.

** Changed in: cups-filters (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to cups-filters in Ubuntu.

  PostScript level2 is always generated with pdftops renderer

Status in “cups-filters” package in Ubuntu:

  I built cups-filters 1.0.44 for Ubuntu 12.04 with pdftops being
  poppler's pdftops. I'm using it with Ricoh MP C3300  PosrtScript PPD
  [1], and looking at the code it should call pdftops with -level3
  parameter. However, it looks like HP printer detection takes place and
  -level2 is always generated.

  Here is strace output:
  [pid  7373] execve("/usr/bin/pdftops", ["pdftops", "-level2", "-noembtt",
"-origpagesizes", "-nocenter", "-r", "300", "/tmp/p2.pdf", "-"], [/* 28 vars
*/] <unfinished ...>

  Shouldn't it generate level3 unless the printer is HP laserjet?

  1. http://www.openprinting.org/ppd-o-matic.php?driver=Postscript-
  Ricoh&printer=Ricoh-Aficio_MP_C3300&show=1