Looking into it a bit more, it might be a GTK+ bug, but luckily it's
easy enough to just fix it in libindicator.

** Also affects: libindicator

** Also affects: libindicator (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to indicator-keyboard in Ubuntu.

  Indicator disappears when switching to non default layout

Status in Libindicator:
  New
Status in “indicator-keyboard” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “libindicator” package in Ubuntu:

  I am experiencing this problem with a non-default icon theme (Numix
  icons).

  I have two layouts: English and Latin American. When I switch layouts
  (with Shift+Shift_R) from English to Spanish, the indicator
  disappears. When I switch back to English, the indicator reappears.

  I've checked with adding a third layout, but the indicator won't show
  unless the layout is set to English (my default layout).

  Package: indicator-keyboard 0.0.0+14.04.20140311-0ubuntu1
  CurrentDesktop: Unity