I believe that so called "#18 fix" is not an actual solution. It
disables multitouch features and makes your touchpad recognized as a
normal mouse (and since touchpad doesn't come with separate physical
scroll wheel, you won't get scrolling while using that option). You keep
an ability to move your cursor and click, but that's not what I would
call a "usable touchpad".

I wonder whether it's related specifically to the touchpad drivers, or
is it just about the amount of cursor-related events which are sent to
xorg? While it happens only with nvidia drivers, there migh be a
possibility to fix it by pathing the touchpad-related protocols in
psmouse kernel module or something in xorg (related to xrandr protocol,
possibly?).

** Also affects: nvidia-graphics-drivers-331 (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-prime in Ubuntu.

  [nvidia-prime]Freeze while using touchpad

Status in “nvidia-graphics-drivers-319” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “nvidia-graphics-drivers-331” package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in “nvidia-prime” package in Ubuntu:
  Opinion

Bug description:
  I'm using an Optimus laptop (Asus N43SL)
  nvidia-prime is installed, so my nvidia dedicated graphics card (GT 540m) is
in use.

  Once in a while, my screen will freeze, only when I use my touchpad.
  This does not happen with my USB mouse.
  This does not happen either when I uninstall nvidia-prime and use my intel
integrated graphics (HD3000).

  I can temporarily solve the issue by doing a VT switch.

  In the attached Xorg.0.log, you can see "synaptics: ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad:
touchpad found" each time I did a VT switch and regained control.