I read this is caused by the ideapad_laptop driver.
I blacklisted that and now it works kind of good (still loose connection
sometime) but might be because of wcid also still being installed.
So another work around is to add this to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
blacklist ideapad_laptop

  wifi not configurable in network-manager showing disabled by hardware
  switch

Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu:

  Network manager shows Wifi is disabled by hardware switch. It worked jut
after install but not anymore after.
  I read somewhere I can use wicd and that does work.
  iwlist wlan0 scan worked also before installing that.
  Seems like a bug in network-manager to me.
  It would be nice if NM does whatever wicd does to enable the wifi card.
  I have nog physical button for wif and wifi is enabled in the UEFI firmware.

  output of rfkill list:
  ubuntu@ubuntu-Lenovo-Yoga-2-11:~$ sudo rfkill list
  0: ideapad_wlan: Wireless LAN
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: yes
  1: ideapad_bluetooth: Bluetooth
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: yes
  3: phy0: Wireless LAN
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: no
  4: brcmwl-0: Wireless LAN
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: no
  15: hci0: Bluetooth
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: no
  ubuntu@ubuntu-Lenovo-Yoga-2-11:~$

  ubuntu@ubuntu-Lenovo-Yoga-2-11:~$ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      14.04

  ubuntu@ubuntu-Lenovo-Yoga-2-11:~$ apt-cache policy network-manager
  network-manager:
    Installed: 0.9.8.8-0ubuntu4
    Candidate: 0.9.8.8-0ubuntu4
    Version table:
   *** 0.9.8.8-0ubuntu4 0
          500 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/main amd64 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  ubuntu@ubuntu-Lenovo-Yoga-2-11:~$ apt-cache policy network-manager-gnome
  network-manager-gnome:
    Installed: 0.9.8.4-1ubuntu3
    Candidate: 0.9.8.4-1ubuntu3
    Version table:
   *** 0.9.8.4-1ubuntu3 0
          500 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/main amd64 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  Package: network-manager 0.9.8.8-0ubuntu4
  NonfreeKernelModules: wl
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Tue Mar  4 18:39:18 2014
  IfupdownConfig:
   # interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
   auto lo
   iface lo inet loopback
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Alpha amd64 (20140303)
  IpRoute:
   default via 192.168.1.1 dev wlan0
   192.168.1.0/24 dev wlan0  proto kernel  scope link  src 192.168.1.115
  NetworkManager.state:
   [main]
   NetworkingEnabled=true
   WirelessEnabled=true
   WWANEnabled=true
   WimaxEnabled=true
  SourcePackage: network-manager
  mtime.conffile..etc.NetworkManager.NetworkManager.conf:
2014-03-04T14:08:55.818581
  nmcli-con:
   NAME                      UUID                                   TYPE
      TIMESTAMP    TIMESTAMP-REAL                     AUTOCONNECT   READONLY
DBUS-PATH
   thuis-                    17338c5c-1ba4-4ed4-ac63-bf2ab23734e2
802-11-wireless   0            never                              yes
no         /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Settings/0
  nmcli-dev:
   DEVICE     TYPE              STATE         DBUS-PATH

   wlan0      802-11-wireless   unavailable
/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/1
  nmcli-nm:
   RUNNING         VERSION    STATE           NET-ENABLED   WIFI-HARDWARE
WIFI       WWAN-HARDWARE   WWAN
   running         0.9.8.8    disconnected    enabled       disabled
disabled   enabled         enabled