Public bug reported:

The recent update of unity packages introduced a bad regression for ibus
users.  I assume the fault lies with unity since ibus hasn't been
updated for several weeks and my machine was fine until about two days
ago around which time some unity updates rolled in.

I have a German keyboard layout (QWERTZ not QWERTY as in the US case).
I use anthy and mozc for Japanese input.  Since two days ago the default
layout with the Japanese IME are a US layout throwing me off when blind-
typing.  To look into the matter, I opened ibus-setup and there are
three Input methods listed there: English - English (US), Japanese -
Anthy and Japanese -Mozc.  German was conspicuously absent .  I
eventually managed to add a German layout to it but the next time I call
ibus-setup the US layout is back as default.  In other words, the
explicit choice I'm trying to force doesn't stick.

There are four keyboard layouts currently defined in "System Settings -
Text Entry - Input sources to use", none of them have anything to do
with a US-layout; de1, de2, anthy and mozc.  I cycle through them via
Super+Space.  Anthy is set to use the system default layout.  The
regression is that it currently inists on US layout with no way to even
override this silly choice.

** Affects: unity (Ubuntu)

** Tags: regression-release trusty

Packages, which is subscribed to unity in Ubuntu.

  regression: ibus ignores keyboard layout

Status in “unity” package in Ubuntu: