Thanks el-gallo-azul for your response. Please open a bug again if you
keep seeing this issue in any Ubuntu version.

** Changed in: rhythmbox (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to rhythmbox in Ubuntu.

  Rhythmbox stops playing near the end of an MP3 track

Status in “rhythmbox” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  This has happened a number of times over the last few months. I never
  thought to check the file format previously. I think it's worth
  reporting a bug now.

  My music was playing (shuffled) alright for a few hours. It then went
  quiet when a song had (just about?) finished.

  The song is from an MP3 file. It reached 3:02 of 3:04, and then
  stopped. I have tried to start a different track, without success. All
  the Rhythmbox control seem OK, but there is no progress on the time
  bar and there is no sound coming out.

  1) The release of Ubuntu you are using, via 'lsb_release -rd' or
  System -> About Ubuntu

  Ubuntu 12.04

  2) The version of the package you are using, via 'apt-cache policy
  pkgname' or by checking in Software Center

  rhythmbox 2.96-0ubuntu4.1

  3) What you expected to happen

  Music to keep playing (shuffled, if it makes any difference)

  4) What happened instead

  It played for a few hours and then stopped playing (froze near the end
  of a song)