@ubuntudevelopers: Why are you introducing new features  (e.g. "Online
Sources") and switch over all the services (Empathy,  worked fine before) and
once a bug (like this) appears, it is ignored?
Innovation is fine and desirable, but latest Ubuntu versions (even trusty - a
LTS!) are some kind of patchwork. There are several bugs that need to be fixed
or (more important) features that have to be considered for reverting.

I am now using pidgin, because I can't get empathy going. There is NO
chance.

And that's what I'm talking about. Bugs like these are real blockers!

Think about that: Who will buy an Ubuntu phone if Ubuntu is a name that
is connected to a buggy desktop system?

Packages, which is subscribed to empathy in Ubuntu.

  Google Talk account in empathy refuses to sign in

Status in “empathy” package in Ubuntu:

  I've got 3 Google accounts in my online accounts. Empathy refuses to
  sign in with them citing "Google Talk account requires authorisation"
  for all three. However, on clicking the button that opens Online
  Accounts, nothing abnormal shows. Switching the account off, then back
  on has no impact. There is no option to reauth the accounts, which
  sometimes appears - when it does, I get the google login screen and
  then it works, usually until the next reboot.

  http://pastebin.com/RNHDKfSx is the pastebin of the Auth log from
  empathy-debugger