The bug task for the somerville project has been removed by an automated
script.  This bug has been cloned on that project and is available here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1305574

** No longer affects: somerville

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in Ubuntu.

  X hangs, corrupts/blanks vt sessions preventing installation [Mobile
  GM965 8086:2a02]

Status in “xserver-xorg-video-intel” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “xserver-xorg-video-intel” source package in Hardy:
  Fix Released
Status in “xserver-xorg-video-intel” source package in Intrepid:

  Binary package hint: xserver-xorg-video-intel

  The -intel driver does not appear to work on the Dell Studio Hybrid
  (Mobile GM965 8086:2a02 / 1028:0279).  On booting the Intrepid Alpha-4
  cd and selecting either the Live CD option or the Install ubuntu
  option, the screen blanks and never comes back.  I'm not certain if it
  is hanging at that point or waiting for input.  Vt switching *sort of*
  works; about half the time if I ctrl-alt-f1/f2 several times, I'll see
  either a corrupted text screen or get an uncorrupted text screen, that
  I can log into and use; the other half of the time the console just
  remains blank.

  I was able to successfully boot an old Gutsy Tribe 2 LiveCD using Safe
  Graphics mode (regular LiveCD hung as above).  In this case, X seemed
  okay but I had trouble getting the wired network to connect to the
  network (kernel device driver problem?)

  Next, I went back to the Intrepid Alpha-4 CD and switched it to the
  vesa driver.  Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to start up via startx
  (see the log file attached, which displays the error message).

  [StableReleaseUpdate]
  Impact:  The bug prevents Ubuntu from being installed using the Desktop
LiveCD, and makes X display nothing when the -intel graphics driver is used if
installing some other way.

  Addressed:  The root cause of the problem is known upstream, and
  they've provided a quirking mechanism to deal with this class of
  problem.  Adding the quirk solves this bug.  This has already been
  uploaded to Intrepid.

  Patch:  See attached.  In addition to this quirk, it also syncs 3
  quirks from upstream; one for the same bug on another hardware
  platform, and two for the very common hang-on-lid-close pipe-a
  problem.

  Reproducing:  The LVDS bug can be reproduced by attempting to boot a
  LiveCD.  After usplash the screen will blank, including vt's.  The
  hang-on-lid-close bug is reproduced by closing the laptop lid or
  putting the machine into sleep mode.

  Regression Potential:  Quirks are targeted to specific PCI ID's and
  thus the scope of any regression is extremely small.  Additionally,
  quirks are just changes in a data table, so the worst possibility is
  mistyping the PCI ID.