In case you're not using xfdesktop to draw your desktop background then this is
the same bug, the root pixmap isn't painted correctly by nouveau.
So if my assumption that you're not using xfdesktop is correct, it is xfwm4
drawing the root pixmap in your case. But it doesn't matter really, because the
nouveau driver is still the culprit.

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau in Ubuntu.

  Screen artifacts appear after restart and cold boot

Status in LightDM GTK+ Greeter:
  Fix Released
Status in “xserver-xorg-video-nouveau” package in Ubuntu:

  When I cold boot the login screen background is garbled - see
  screenshot attached

  Package: xserver-xorg-video-nouveau 1:1.0.10-1ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-1.16-generic 3.13.0-rc7
  CurrentDesktop: XFCE