my previous solution does not work anymore.
Here is a new way of making it work:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/multimedia/gst-ffmpeg.html

The Gstreamer 1.0 does not seem to be a solution for "normal" people,
the necessary patches are not even accepted in firefox, there are no
(known ?) backports of the patches for firefox 28 and on machines with
less than ~6Gbytes of ram it is not even possible to compile firefox.

I understand that Debian has eliminated the gst-ffmpeg package, but Ubuntu has
no reason to break something that works.
In the mean time, you can get it working in under 5 minutes thanks to
linuxfromscratch.

  firefox on ubuntu 14.04 does not play mp4 files

Status in “firefox” package in Ubuntu:

  On xubuntu 14.04 the package gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg_0.10.13-5_amd64.deb is not
available,
  so I could not use mp4 h264 files in html5 tags. I used the .deb package from
ubuntu 13.10 and after an apt-get -f install everything works fine.
  I don't know why the gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg package is not available anymore,
it looks like firefox could use gstreamer1.0-libav. I don't know if the h264
decoder is enabled in gstreamer1.0-libav package.

  I hope that this bug report will help people get html5 video working.

  Tested with firefox 25 and 29.