Public bug reported:

Hello,

I just upgraded Ubuntu 12.04 to 14.04 with the ISO Image. When Upgrading I was
asked to create a new user. That suprised me, but anyway, I followed the
instructions and the upgrading lead me finally to the login screen. I was
missing all user accounts, but the one I created new. This new one works fine,
even though I was recreating the same administration account as on Ubuntu
12.04. Because of the missing accounts, I created new user accounts, with the
same names as on Ubuntu 12.04.
Now, I realized that I can not login to any of these accounts! It is simply
aborted with no error message at all. I assumed this must be an upgrade error
and created a completly new account. This account works fine. So can anyone
confirm on this behavior?

This computer is not very essential to me, so I can leave it as it is
for a few days and if there are any responces I can provide you with
further information.

Regards,
Philipp

** Affects: gnome-settings-daemon (Ubuntu)

** Tags: 12.04 14.04 login upgrade

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-settings-daemon in Ubuntu.

  Upgrading Ubuntu 12.04 to 14.04 leads to broken logins

Status in “gnome-settings-daemon” package in Ubuntu: