I solved by unchecking "Enable 3D Acceleration" in my virtual machine's
display settings. But there still appears to be a bug here that wasn't
present before 14.04.

Packages, which is subscribed to chromium-browser in Ubuntu.

  Chromium appears to stay on top of other applications even when it is
  not

Status in “chromium-browser” package in Ubuntu:

  (This may be related to but not the same as 1030060 and 1173234.)

  Chromium stays on top of other applications, even when it shouldn't be
  drawn on the screen at all.

  For example, if I minimize Chromium, it is still drawn as if it's on
  top of other applicaitons. Even though I cannot see these other
  applicaitons or parts thereof that were behind Chromium, I can
  interact with them with the mouse as if they are on top and in focus.

  Also, even if Chromium is not minimized, it is still drawn above other
  applications even if another application gets the focus due to me
  interacting with it.

  I can reproduce this on both a fresh install of Ubuntu 14.04 and an
  install of Xubuntu that started with 12.10 and has successively been
  upgraded through every release.

  Package: chromium-browser 34.0.1847.116-0ubuntu2
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Tue Apr 22 09:57:40 2014
  Desktop-Session:
   DESKTOP_SESSION = ubuntu
   XDG_CONFIG_DIRS = /etc/xdg/xdg-ubuntu:/usr/share/upstart/xdg:/etc/xdg
   XDG_DATA_DIRS =
/usr/share/ubuntu:/usr/share/gnome:/usr/local/share/:/usr/share/
  DetectedPlugins:

  Env:
   MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH = None
   LD_LIBRARY_PATH = None
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release amd64 (20140417)
  SourcePackage: chromium-browser
  chromium-default: CHROMIUM_FLAGS=""
  gconf-keys: /desktop/gnome/applications/browser/exec =
b''/desktop/gnome/url-handlers/https/command =
b''/desktop/gnome/url-handlers/https/enabled =
b''/desktop/gnome/url-handlers/http/command =
b''/desktop/gnome/url-handlers/http/enabled =
b''/desktop/gnome/session/required_components/windowmanager =
b''/apps/metacity/general/compositing_manager =
b''/desktop/gnome/interface/icon_theme = b''/desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_theme
= b''
  modified.conffile..etc.default.chromium.browser: [deleted]