Thanks for reporting this issue and help in making Ubuntu better. Are
you still seeing this problem? Have you been able to try it with Ubuntu
14.04 to see if it is still present there?

** Changed in: empathy (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to empathy in Ubuntu.

  facebook account does not work

Status in “empathy” package in Ubuntu:

  Hi guys!
  i think you have a serious problem with integration of empathy and "online
account" packege in ubuntu.
  so, to be able to connect to my facebook account, i had to remove the "ubuntu
online" accounts by running command:
  "sudo apt-get purge gnome-control-center-signon"

http://askubuntu.com/questions/211464/how-to-remove-online-accounts-from-system-settings
  also, you can read my answer on this thread to see that i am right.
  so, solve the issue as fast as you can because empathy, as an IM client, it
is very usefull to every user, especially that it is defalt.
  Package: empathy 3.8.4-1ubuntu2
  Uname: Linux 3.11.0-15-generic i686
  ApportVersion: 2.12.5-0ubuntu2.2
  Architecture: i386