i have this issue on a freshly installed trusty (kubuntu) & asus x550lb
notebook, nvidia geforce gt 740m (using proprietary driver) , with an
elantech touchpad. additionally, when the problem occurs, the following
message is logged to the syslog:

acpid: client 11187[0:0] has disconnected

switching to character mode and back after waiting a few seconds makes
the problem disappear and the i see in the syslog the following:

acpid: client connected from 11187[0:0]
acpid: 1 client rule loaded

i reported the bug as
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/1313902

Packages, which is subscribed to xorg-server in Ubuntu.

  Ubuntu 13.10 random screen freeze while Normal OS activites

Status in “xorg-server” package in Ubuntu:

  I have recently, re-installed fresh ubuntu 13.10 distribution release.
  But everything worked fine. until recently i had strange problem of my
display screen getting freezed randomly; but no response to either
mouse/keyboard.
  But i want to point it out; it happens randomly and is not specific ?
  Other day, i had music player playing in background, but screen freezed. but
my music was still running.
  Kindly note, i used multiple monitor setup and same issue of screen freeze
also cropped up.

  I,am not sure, whether it is bug ?

  thanks for the expertise support.