Can confirm that the SMART polling by udisk2 every 10 mins appears to
reset the sleep timer on all of my disks: So all disks are kept awake by
SMART polling where sleep timer > 10 mins. As previously stated later WD
disks have a minimum sleep timer of 10 mins ( hdparm -S120 /dev/sdx)
defaults  to 10 mins for any value of S below 120. Therefore you need to
choose betwen SMART monitoring  and sleep.

Device Model:     SAMSUNG HD154UI
Device Model:     SAMSUNG HD154UI
Device Model:     SAMSUNG HD204UI
Device Model:     ST2000DL003-9VT166
Device Model:     WDC WD40EZRX-00SPEB0

|Polling does not WAKE disks, so setting sleeptimer to less than 10 mins
allows all above disks apart from WD to spin down. Following successful
spindown they stay down. 12.04 seems to rely on smartmontools and
smartd, and has a default of 30mins, so I had not seen this till upgrade
to 14.04.

Packages, which is subscribed to udisks2 in Ubuntu.

  Disk standby timer is broken

Status in “udisks2” package in Ubuntu:

  gnome-disk-utility's support for the drive standby timer is broken.
  Instead of issuing the STANDBY command to the drive, it issues the
  IDLE command.