Public bug reported:

After the screen locks I am unable to log back in because the screen
with the login prompt is black, and the screen on my laptop just shows
the Ubuntu logo.

Furthermore, if I then unplug the external monitor (in an attempt to
force the log in option to be displayed on the laptop)  the laptop
screen then goes black and I can't do anything at all.

I can't reproduce this if I select "lock screen" from the UI, but it
happens reliably if it locks due to inactivity.

Other info:
- I am running a fresh install of 14.04
- I have it set to lock after 5 min of inactivity, and require login after lock
- I have an external monitor, configured to be on the left side of the laptop
screen

** Affects: unity (Ubuntu)

** Tags: lockscreen

Packages, which is subscribed to unity in Ubuntu.

  Log in not available after lock screen with multi-monitor

Status in “unity” package in Ubuntu: