On Tue, May 06, 2014 at 11:16:23AM -0000, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> OK.  Yes, I'm using Unity.  So I see the Banshee control panel now.
> I'll just say that IMO it's less desirable than the old notification
> icon, because I have to do more work to open the Banshee window:  one
> extra click and pick, every time I want to see Banshee.

You can actually just click and hold, drag your pointer to the Banshee item in
the sound menu, and let go. It's slightly easier than having to click twice.

Or, like me, you could pin the Banshee icon to the launcher on your left, within
the first 10 icons. Then you can access it quickly via keyboard using Super+1
(first icon), Super+2 (second icon), ... Super+0 (tenth icon), depending on the
location of the icon in the launcher. If you hold down the Super key, you'll see
which number you need to press for the icon.

We've actually gone through some heated arguments regarding this in the past,
starting with [1] crippling the Banshee notification icon entirely, and finally
[2] getting a decent compromise with the introduction of the sound menu.

In any case, the notification area icon isn't going to be coming back with
Unity, since notification area icons have been completely disabled in Unity[3],
including the whitelist feature which was present for a time, so I'm marking
this bug as wontfix, as far as Banshee is concerned.

  affects ubuntu/banshee
  status wontfix

The Banshee notification area icon isn't gone, however. It still exists as an
extension which can be enabled in the Edit->Preferences->Extensions tab under
"Notification Area Icon". Note that the Sound Menu extension will be disabled if
you enable this extension.

The notification area icon provided by that extension is still fully functional
in other desktop environments apart from Unity (to my knowledge, but I haven't
tested this).

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopExperienceTeam/ApplicationIndicators
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Sound#Sound_menu
[3] http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2113769

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin

** Changed in: banshee (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to banshee in Ubuntu.

  notification area icon is gone in 14.04

Status in “banshee” package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  I have the notification area icon plugin enabled.  I just upgraded
  from Ubuntu 12.04 to 14.04, and the notification area icon is gone.  I
  have other applets in that area, but not Banshee's.

  Package: banshee 2.9.0+really2.6.2-2ubuntu2
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  CurrentDesktop: Unity