Wow! Yes. With removing (well, moving away to have a backup) I could log
in.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-session in Ubuntu.

  [oneiric] cannot login, failed to load session

Status in “gnome-session” package in Ubuntu:

  I've upgraded to oneiric to test the new not-yet-ready version of
  ubuntu. However since then I cannot log in at the lightdm (btw I tried
  to use gdm too, the result is the same) screen. A window (without
  borders) appear that failed to load session "ubuntu". The result is
  the same, if I try to use alternative options like Ubuntu 2D, Gnome,
  Gnome classic, Gnome without ubuntu specific, etc etc etc. Just the
  message is different (the session name in the message). Now I am
  writing from fluxbox WM, since it was able to load at least. If I try
  to launch eg gnome-terminal from a terminal in fluxbox, I get:

  lgb@orion:~$ gnome-terminal
  Failed to summon the GConf demon; exiting.  Failed to activate configuration
server: The name org.gnome.GConf was not provided by any .service files

  .xsession-errors file is attached.

  Package: gnome-session 3.1.91-0ubuntu2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.0.0-11.18-generic-pae 3.0.4
  Uname: Linux 3.0.0-11-generic-pae i686
  ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu1
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Sat Sep 17 12:09:17 2011
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat" - Release i386 (20101007)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron:
   PATH=(custom, user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: gnome-session
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to oneiric on 2011-09-06 (10 days ago)