and sorry, I forgot to repeat : the layout needs anyhow to be fixed as it does
not longer reflect the official alphabet, and is remote fro the other current
implementations for Windows and for Mac aligned on the SIL recommendations.
See the files I posted.

Packages, which is subscribed to xkeyboard-config in Ubuntu.

  keyboard for Bambara not usable : name in evdev.xml points to
  Malayalam.

Status in central project for keyboard configuration:
  Confirmed
Status in “xkeyboard-config” package in Ubuntu:

  I am dong research in africa, languages, I have little knowledge about
Linux/Ubuntu.
  I have been implementing bambara keyboards for Windows and Mac OSX (with
Ukelele).

  A year ago I noticed that I could not use the keyboard for Bambara,
apparently it was giving access to a strange asian language.
  Since then, my Ubuntu computer is updated regularly, it now runs Ubuntu 13.10

  I spent a lot of time yesterday, I share what I found :

  1) the <name> in rules/edvdev.xml for this keyboard is "ml"
  this code is actually the one for a language called Malayalam, spoken in
Kerala, south of India. Nothing to do with West Africa, and it's this language
alphabet which is displayed when a user selects the Bambara keyword.
  I changed it to "bm", which is the ISO 639-1 code. (I changed also the !
layout section in evdev.lst)

  2) the "ml" file in symbols is actually for Bambara! Some of the keys defined
are obsolete, it does not align with the keys used by other SIL.org keyboard,
but it is for bambara. I copied this file into a file called "bm" and renamed
"ml" as "ml-old"
  I updated the bm file to align it to the SIL standards.

  This fixed it... only partially :
  the Malayalam keyboard does not display any longer when I select Bambara. I
does now display the bambara keyboard.
  But : it still displays the one defined in the old "ml" file, not the one I
corrected in the "bm" file!!!

  I messed up, restarted several times, to no avail : still the old obsolete
keyboard.
  The only thing that works is that I can now use the keyboard variant which is
defined in my "bm" as "French (Mali, alternative)" with my new keys
definitions.
  When I add the basic "Bambara" keyboard, it displays the old layout. In the
drop down list of keyboard at the top right of the screen, it is there... but
greyed out.
  "French (Mali, alternative)" is OK for my personal use, but my objective is
to make it available generally as "Bambara".

  Please help. Of cours I'm OK to supply the "bm" file

  Jean-Jacques, Paris