this would be very welcome.

I noticed that my problem is slightly different from the others
mentioned, since my dedicated GPU is found, but no suitable _DSM call is
found:

[ 4.045815] bbswitch: failed to evaluate \_SB_.PCI0.GFX0._DSM
{0xA0,0xA0,0x95,0x9D,0x60,0x00,0x48,0x4D,0xB3,0x4D,0x7E,0x5F,0xEA,0x12,0x9F,0xD4}
0x102 0x0 {0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00}: AE_NOT_FOUND

since I am new to reporting any bugs, I wanted to ask whether i should report
my issue on
https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project/bbswitch/issues
as well or is this not necessary?

Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-prime in Ubuntu.

  14.04: Nvidia Prime is unable to switch to the Nvidia card

Status in “nvidia-prime” package in Ubuntu:

  I did a fresh install of 14.04 the day it was released. I use a XPS 15z
laptop form Dell with hybrid graphics (Intel HD 3000 (probably) and Nvidia
Geforce GT 525M). Booting doesn't work out of the box, but by setting
  GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="acpi_backlight=vendor dell_laptop.backlight=0
quiet splash"
  in /etc/default/grub it works. acpi=off when installing, removed that from
the grub file when installed.

  I expected that the Prime feature introduced in kernel 3.12 (kernel
  3.13.x here) would let me switch between the Intel and Nvidia cards as
  i like, instead of using Bumblebee, which doesn't work properly with
  everything. I've installed and tried both the nvidia-331 and
  nvidia-304 drivers. Exactly the same result from both.

  Attempting to switch to the Nvidia card in nvidia-settings (tried on almost
all of the drivers available, including 331.38) resulted in an error message,
in a new window, with no text.
  prime-switch in terminal gives this output: Segmentation fault (core dumped)
  Sudoing the process gives no output at all. No graphical performance boost
either, still the Intel card...

  sudo prime-select nvidia gives this output:
  Error: alternatives are not set up properly
  Error: nvidia mode can't be enabled

  I've also tried Bumblebee (not PPA) a few times, but it's also unable
  to switch.

  I'm able to use the Intel card temporary, but I would really like to
  be able to use the full power of my computer...

  Package: nvidia-prime 0.6.2
  CurrentDesktop: Unity