If gnome-session-quit also doesn't work, then it is a bug in gnome-
session, and there is nothing we can do in gnome-panel about that.

I suggest you to ping the author of the patch from bug 491940.

** Package changed: gnome-panel (Ubuntu) => gnome-session (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-panel in Ubuntu.

  No logout from remote flashback session in trusty

Status in “gnome-session” package in Ubuntu:

  Since I upgraded our LTSP server to trusty, users cannot log out any
  more from the gnome session. The logout entry from the system menu and
  the logout button added to gnome-panel simply do nothing.

  Running "gnome-session-quit" from the terminal, I get the following:
  > ** (gnome-session-quit:2390): WARNING **: Failed to call logout: Logout
interface is only available during the Running phase

  The only way to end the session is "killall -u $USER".

  Note that the X session is running remote (LTSP thin client). Same
  problem when running via XDMCP.

  Package: gnome-session-flashback 1:3.6.2-0ubuntu15
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.11.0-20.35-generic 3.11.10.6
  Uname: Linux 3.11.0-20-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.12.5-0ubuntu2.2
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Tue Jun  3 18:13:39 2014
  GsettingsChanges:

  InstallationMedia: Edubuntu 13.10 "Saucy Salamander" - Release amd64
(20131016.1)
  MarkForUpload: True
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: gnome-panel