Is the screen intensity fluctuating or do parts of the image on the
screen change sporadically?

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in Ubuntu.

   Xubuntu 14.04 screen flickers (VGA: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series
  Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07))

Status in “xserver-xorg-video-intel” package in Ubuntu:

  Hi all,

  after a fresh install of Xubuntu 14.04 LTS the screen flickers continuously.
  The VGA is :: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics
Controller (rev 07)

  The problem didn't take place on earlier versions of Xubuntu (or at
  least it wasn't as visible since I didn't notice it)

  Now it is very disturbing and tiring for the eye.
  It is much more visible with brighter screen and seems more visible
immediately after log in, but it might be because after a while the eye gets
used to it.

  It might be worth noting that I do not have any option to change the
  refresh rate from 59.1Hz