You're right, the height is correct but the position of the window is
underneath the Unity bar. This is almost certainly a bug in Unity, not
in Octave, since Octave is setting the right height, and I have not seen
this happen in other desktop environments.

This may be the same as bug #1166132. Reassigning to unity.

** Package changed: octave (Ubuntu) => unity (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to unity in Ubuntu.

  No menu bar !

Status in “unity” package in Ubuntu:

  Not sure where to report this, but there are some odd "Ubuntu issues
  with many apps".  I invoked Ubuntu-bug on "octave" since its the most
  recent app I've tried that has this issue, but changed the package to
  "I don't know" in the web bug-interface.

  1 - Applications often start with no menu/title bar.  They are not
  maximized.  Sometimes changing the size of the window by dragging a
  window edge will give me a title bar.

  2 - Even when a title bar is visible, it may only show the title and
  the menus won't open.  I click around like mad and eventually the menu
  may start working.  Its very intermittent.

  3 - Tear-off menus never work.   This has been reported seperately for
  Gimp.  When the menus are torn off, they don't work anymore.   Gvim
  used to have tear-off menus, but I can't find out where to turn them
  on!  Gnome-tweak tool (and other gnome apps have a transparent
  background making them very tough to use).

  Sorry these are all posted in one spot, but I think they are related.
  If I'm wrong - I'll try posting them seperately, but I'm pretty sure
  I'm not the only one having these problems!

  Package: octave 3.8.1-1ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-29.52-lowlatency 3.13.11.2
  Uname: Linux 3.13.0-29-lowlatency x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.2
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Thu Jun  5 10:49:13 2014
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release amd64+mac
(20140417)
  SourcePackage: octave