I have been affected by this for years while printing from Linux (Ubuntu
12.04) via a FreeBSD (9.2 for what matters) CUPS server (versions 1.5.x
to 1.7.x at least). I have two printers: HP Laserjet 1320 and HP Deskjet
5550 which are installed via CUPS on the FreeBSD server and shared with
the Linux CUPSes (1.5.3 from precise).

Printing via the Foomatic/HPIJS drivers "HP-LaserJet_1320-hpijs.ppd" and
"HP-DeskJet_5550-hpijs.ppd" always gave me unacceptably wrong printout
margins (shifted more than 1 cm right and up). The generic PCL driver
provided by CUPS never had this problem, but of course would not take
advantage of any advanced printer features.

Running the command hinted by Till in post #6

lpadmin -p <printer_queue> -o pdftops-renderer-default=pdftops

on the FreeBSD server (NOT on the Ubuntu Linux clients!) for every
printer installed there solved the problem completely.  Many thanks for
that. The server now runs CUPS-1.7.2 and shares its printers with the
Linux CUPS-1.5.3 via cups-browsed in total harmony and I always get
correct margins.

Let me emphasise once more that in my case this bug was NOT caused on
the side of Ubuntu 12.04 (CUPS 1.5.3 ) but on the side of the FreeBSD
server (CUPS 1.7.2). However this seems to suggests that the root of the
issue goes upstream ...

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Desktop
Packages, which is subscribed to cups in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1184663

Title:
  Incorrect margins when printing to a laser printer using CUPS 1.6.x

Status in “cups” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed

Bug description:
  I have a Brother HL-2270DW laser printer and I'm having issues with
  print margins using the official drivers by Brother after I upgraded
  to Quantal and these issues still persist with Raring.

  Other users reported similar problems with different printers mostly
  Brother:

  http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=12381534
  
http://askubuntu.com/questions/284441/hl-2240-brother-not-printing-at-margins/300186#300186

  I have also a Brother MFC-J6510DW inkjet all-in-one printer and it
  works fine.

  I've found out that a workaround for the Brother original driver is to
  print your document as .ps file and then print that file.

  However using some Generic PCL drivers I can get correct margins in
  particular with Foomatic/ljet4 and Foomatic/ljet4d.

  Following directions in Debugging Printing Problems, I've enabled
  "Save debugging information for troubleshooting" and I've captured a
  print job. However the captured file appears to be OK whereas the
  printed file has wrong margins (left +6 mm; top -4 mm).

  ProblemType: Bug
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 13.04
  Package: cups 1.6.2-1ubuntu7
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.8.0-22.33-generic 3.8.11
  Uname: Linux 3.8.0-22-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.9.2-0ubuntu8
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Mon May 27 18:19:24 2013
  InstallationDate: Installed on 2013-03-16 (72 days ago)
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 13.04 "Raring Ringtail" - Alpha amd64 (20130315)
  Lpstat:
   device for BRFAX: lpd://BRW002258EF8326/BINARY_P1
   device for HL2270DW: lpd://BRW00225892D671/BINARY_P1
   device for MFCJ6510DW: lpd://BRW002258EF8326/BINARY_P1
   device for PCL_HL-2X: lpd://BRW00225892D671/BINARY_P1
   device for PCL_HL-2X__Duplex: lpd://BRW00225892D671/BINARY_P1
  MachineType: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. U36SD
  MarkForUpload: True
  Papersize: a4
  PpdFiles:
   HL2270DW: Brother HL2270DW for CUPS
   PCL_HL-2X__Duplex: Generic PCL 6/PCL XL Printer Foomatic/ljet4d
   PCL_HL-2X: Generic PCL 6/PCL XL Printer Foomatic/ljet4
   MFCJ6510DW: Brother MFC-J6510DW CUPS
   BRFAX: Brother BRMFCFAX for CUPS
  ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.8.0-22-generic 
root=UUID=ec9aa77a-fa22-4668-b846-38058c29cf00 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
  SourcePackage: cups
  UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
  dmi.bios.date: 07/12/2011
  dmi.bios.vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
  dmi.bios.version: U36SD.205
  dmi.board.asset.tag: ATN12345678901234567
  dmi.board.name: U36SD
  dmi.board.vendor: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
  dmi.board.version: 1.0
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: No Asset Tag
  dmi.chassis.type: 10
  dmi.chassis.vendor: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
  dmi.chassis.version: 1.0
  dmi.modalias: 
dmi:bvnAmericanMegatrendsInc.:bvrU36SD.205:bd07/12/2011:svnASUSTeKComputerInc.:pnU36SD:pvr1.0:rvnASUSTeKComputerInc.:rnU36SD:rvr1.0:cvnASUSTeKComputerInc.:ct10:cvr1.0:
  dmi.product.name: U36SD
  dmi.product.version: 1.0
  dmi.sys.vendor: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cups/+bug/1184663/+subscriptions

-- 
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
Post to     : [email protected]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Reply via email to