I've seen the same issue in Fedora. My workaround was to "sabotage" the
org.freedesktop.Filemanager1 dbus service by creating
~/.local/share/dbus-1/services/org.freedesktop.FileManager1.service and
changing the Exec line to e.g. /usr/bin/false or /usr/bin/true; this is
better since it's persistent and isn't affected by system updates...
etc. This makes Firefox use whatever file manager I set in
~/.local/share/applications/defaults.list (see comment #31).

Changing Exec to /usr/bin/dolphin somehow made "open containing folder"
open the file manager, but the firefox UI gets sort of blocked/hung for
a while, probably because firefox tries to query the capabilities of
org.freedesktop.FileManager1 via dbus first, (just a guess).

[..]

  "Open containing folder" is only working if nautilus is present

Status in The Mozilla Firefox Browser:
  Confirmed
Status in “firefox” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: firefox

  Tools->Downloads-> (Right click)->Open containing folder

  Result: Nothing happens (not even an error).
  Expected: An error, a dialog asking to choose a file manager or just
konqueror showing the folder.

  Fix: add the following line to prefs.js
  user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.file", "konqueror");

  ProblemType: Bug
  Architecture: i386