Aceman, I think this shouldn't be too hard and will be very similar and
in same code area as your sophisticated patch in Bug 984875, attachment
8428850. My comment 50 and comment 51 also provide a starting point how
this could be done. Perhaps the combination of your insight and my
starting points might enable you to come up with a draft patch here?

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  Nickname not over-riding names in email address

Status in Mozilla Thunderbird Mail and News:
  Confirmed
Status in “thunderbird” package in Ubuntu:

  From what I have read in the support forum the nickname should take
  priority in the search for an email address in the to: field. It does
  not appear to work any more.

  Example:

  One friend's address is Mark<m...@yyyy.com>. The other is
  James<james.m...@xxxx.com>. Both are in my address book with Mark
  entered as the nickname of m...@yyyy.com  and James as nickname for
  james.m...@xxxx.com.

  If I type james in the To: field I get james.mark as a first entry in
  the list of available addresses.

  If I type mark I get the same address again, when I would prefer the
  first optional address to be m...@yyyy.com

  Reason it is needed:
  I am trying to avoid sending emails meant for m...@yyyy.com to James.mark
because I do not notice in time that I have defaulted to the first entry in the
list of available addresses.

  Package: thunderbird 10.0.2+build1-0ubuntu0.11.10.1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.0.0-16.29-generic-pae 3.0.20
  Uname: Linux 3.0.0-16-generic-pae i686
  ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu4
  Architecture: i386
  BuildID: 20120216123548