Sounds works as expected in windows 7. So it should be possible to
somehow make it work as expected.

In the GUI audio settings under the output tab, in the "play-sound-through"
list, there is one device listed:
When the headphones are plugged it says "Headphones Built-in Audio".
When the adphones aren't plugged in it says "Speakers Built-in Audio".

@Raymond
So ubuntu fails to add the extra audio output automatically?

Packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  [W230SS, VIA1802] no sound from headphones

Status in “alsa-driver” package in Ubuntu:

  ubuntu 14.04 live usb, on my new laptop (also happens after
  installation).

  what happened
  When  the headphones are unplugged I hear sounds from the internal
speakers(correct).
  When the headphones are plugged in I hear no sounds. (bug).

  What I expected
  When internal the headphones are plugged in, the internal speakers are muted,
and I can hear sounds from the headphones.

  Steps to reproduce
  0. boot ubuntu 14.04 LTR from usb
  1. play song
  2. plug in headphones into headphone jack
  3. unplug headphones
  4. write bug report

  codecs are installed
  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/HDAGeneric
  command
  grep "Codec:" /proc/asound/card*/codec*
  output
  /proc/asound/card0/codec#0:Codec: Intel Haswell HDMI
  /proc/asound/card1/codec#0:Codec: VIA VT1802

  Laptop model
  xmg p304
  http://www.mysn.eu/se/xmg-p304

  Package: alsa-base 1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu4
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  ubuntu     2312 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/controlC1:  ubuntu     2312 F.... pulseaudio
  CasperVersion: 1.340
  CurrentDesktop: Unity