The fix for this has caused a small regression, so it can't be included
in the pending Compiz SRU and has to be reverted.  The good news is that
a proper fix has been identified, so we'll work on getting that into
Utopic and then into the Trusty Compiz SRU after this one.

** Branch unlinked: lp:~townsend/compiz/0.9.11.1

Packages, which is subscribed to compiz in Ubuntu.

  compiz lower window:<Alt>Button5 stops working

Status in Compiz:
  Fix Committed
Status in Compiz 0.9.11 series:
  In Progress
Status in “compiz” package in Ubuntu:

  [Impact]

  Users who have the horizontal scroll buttons mapped with a modifier
  such as 'Alt' to other functions using CCSM no longer have working
  mapped functions. This breaks the user's workflow.

  [Test case]

  * Need a mouse with horizontal scrolling, ie, click the mouse wheel left and
right.
  * Open CCSM.
  * Map a function to the horizontal scroll buttons, ie, buttons 6 & 7. For
example:
    * Enable workspaces.
    * CCSM->Viewport Switcher->Desktop-based Viewport Switching
    * Set "Move Next" to Alt + button 6 and "Move Prev" to Alt + button 7.

  [Regression potential]

  None identified.

  Original Description:

  Since upgrading to 14.04, compiz Lower Window key binding as alt+button5 is
no longer working completely. It used to nicely cycle through windows but now
if a window surfaces that is scrollable, the 'lower window' command stops
responding and the window content starts scrolling vertically even though the
alt key is still pressed. Clicking the window and then triggering 'lower
window' again causes it to temporarily start working again until another
scrollable window surfaces.

  This is configured under ccsm General Options->Key Bindings->Lower
  Window.

  It worked previously in 13.10. I have since tried unity-reset and
  reverting all compiz settings.

  Other settings:

  Click To Focus: off
  Raise On Click: on
  Auto-Raise: off
  Focus Prevention Level: Low

  I tested a different plugin "Opacity, Brightness and Saturation" with
  the same key binding <Alt>Button5 and it does not demonstrate the same
  behavior; I can tune any window opacity whether the window is
  scrollable or not.

  Setting the alternative Lower Window keyboard binding <Control>Down
  works without the same interference.