You could probably set it in xorg.conf.d, but I wish there was a better
solution. This problem keeps coming up, infrequently, but persistently
over the years.

OK, let's see. The indicator in unity panel writes to gsettings.
gsettings monitor org.gnome.desktop.input-sources current

Unity-settings-daemon listens for this key's changes and in response sets the
root window property _XKB_RULES_NAMES. As I understand it, that's basically
what setxkbmap does too.
xprop -root | grep XKB

However, unity-settings-daemon seems to always add the us layout as a second
group, something "setxkbmap it,us" would do.
setxkbmap -query | grep layout
layout:     it,us

I don't know why that happens. There's probably a good reason for it,
but I could imagine this is what exposes you to the old bug #837456.

** Also affects: unity-settings-daemon

Packages, which is subscribed to onboard in Ubuntu.

  keymap unstable

Status in Unity Settings Daemon:
  New
Status in “onboard” package in Ubuntu:

  on a tablet pc, once the keyboard has been deactivate, if I try to
  reactivate the keymapping don't load my language, but the American.
  The same after using Onboard keyboard on screen, the real ones changed
  the map.