I was able to write a "PSD Thumbnailer" that works in Nautilus, tested
on Elementary OS / Ubuntu 12.04

https://bugs.launchpad.net/pantheon-files/+bug/1327766

The script is here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/pantheon-
files/+bug/1327766/+attachment/4127615/+files/install_psd_thumbnailer_using_imagemagick.sh

I imagine the code could be adapted to generate AI thumbnails as it uses
ImageMagick

  Enhancement: enable Photoshop image/x-psd thumbnailing support

Status in Nautilus:
  Won't Fix
Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: nautilus

  Hi,

  By default Ubuntu's Nautilus does not attempt to thumbnail Photoshop images
of the mimetype image/x-psd.
  The Python Imaging Library (PIL) is installed by default on Ubuntu and has
the ability to thumbnail image/x-psd files.

  I use a very simple python script (attached), which successfully
  thumbnails about 75% of my image/x-psd files for nautilus.

  The gconf key that are needed:
  gconftool-2 --set "/desktop/gnome/thumbnailers/image@x-psd/enable" --type
boolean True
  gconftool-2 --set "/desktop/gnome/thumbnailers/image@x-psd/command" --type
string "python /usr/bin/psd-thumbnailer.py %i %o %s"

  Perhaps such functionality could be added to Nautilus by default?