This bug has affected me since upgrading to Trusty. My machine has been
far less stable since the upgrade. Graphics/display crashes seem to be
behind the problem.

$ lspci | grep 'VGA\|Display'
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G92 [GeForce GTS 250]
(rev a2)

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in Ubuntu.

  individual characters frequently corrupted

Status in “xserver-xorg-video-intel” package in Ubuntu:

  Since upgrading to saucy, I've had individual characters render
  improperly.  Unfortunately, taking a screenshot clears the corruption.
  Selecting the text, scrolling in the terminal (which I imagine redraws
  anew instead of scrolling a rendered pane), or any number of things
  that would trigger a re-display of a glyph seems to clear it.
  Incidentally I see occasional corrupted glyphs appear in this text
  input box as I type, and they will appear with one keystroke and
  disappear with the next.  I am fairly confident I could reproduce as I
  go.

  I filed this against pango because that's what I think of as
  responsible for this sort of thing.

  Screenshot attached.

  Package: libpangox-1.0-0 0.0.2-4