I have the same problem. Can anybody help?

Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-331 in Ubuntu.

  Unable to select Nvidia in PRIME Profiles within nvidia-settings

Status in “nvidia-graphics-drivers-331” package in Ubuntu:

  Release: 14.04

  2) The version of the package you are using, via 'apt-cache policy pkgname'
or by checking in Software Center
  nvidia-331:
    Installed: 331.38-0ubuntu6
    Candidate: 331.38-0ubuntu6
    Version table:
   *** 331.38-0ubuntu6 0
          500 http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/restricted amd64
Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  3) What you expected to happen
  To be able to select Nvidia (Performance Mode) from the nvidia/intel list

  4) What happened instead
  An empty Alert window appears
  No output in terminal

  nvidia-settings
  ** Message: PRIME: Laptop detected
  ** Message: PRIME: is it supported? yes

  I do realize that my bug report is extremly similiar to #1276816 but in my
opinion it's a different bug since I'm not getting a trace log or any kind of
information. I've one line related to the nvidia driver in general inside my
dmesg:
  init: Failed to spawn nvidia-persistenced main process: unable to execute: No
such file or directory