The "fix" was entirely inadequate. Just three files, replacing one
arbitrarily inappropriate icon with another, and not the ones that
people have complained about. There are standard names for these,
included within the default Ubuntu theme. Use those. If you really must
use some other icon, call it the appropriate thing and then symlink to
whatever icon you've pulled out of the hat. It isn't difficult. Failure
to do so highlights how little you value the  consistency of the user
experience.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-icon-theme in Ubuntu.

  missing icons for .directory files

Status in “gnome-icon-theme” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “gnome-menus” package in Ubuntu:

  Directory files have been shipped with incorrect Icon= fields. For
  example, ActionGames.directory contains Icon=weather-storm.

  This should instead read Icons=applications-action (1) which is
  included in many icon sets (2), leaving this kind of substitution to
  the theme author using symlinks. Including references to these
  substitutions directly in the .directory files is an inappropriate and
  unecessary kludge which breaks themes, including the default one.

  I've only  checked the Games .directory files so far, since that is
  what I was doing when I encountered the bug, but they all exhibit this
  problem. I'm using Ubuntu 13.04, but it's the kind of thing that could
  have been sitting undone for a while. It's probably worth checking
  whether this bug exists upstream or whether it's been introduced by
  the Ubuntu team.

  Upon further checking, Bug #421294 is a particular case of this bug,
  where the line reads Icon=system-run rather than Icon=applications-
  puzzles. From this report and Bug #421695 it seems likely that this
  bug was introduced in Karmic.

  (1) or similar - I'm not entirely sure on whether this will shake out
  as applications-action or applications-games-action; Gnome currently
  goes one way and KDE the other but, either way, symlinks are cheap and
  it can be sorted out through freedesktop.

  (2) Ubuntu's own Humanity icon set includes icons of this form, but
  they are not used because of this bug.