Indeed, changing the ~/.cups/lpoptions did the trick.

So this bug is a "documentation bug" and a "false pretense bug" because
the dialog for setting the default printer only pretends to set the
default printer, and doesn't tell anything about the other influences.

I even wonder now which setting the dialog influences anyway.

So I for now am happy,
but the problem I ran into is not solved at all because the dialog and the
mecanisms are neither clear nor functional.

Packages, which is subscribed to cups in Ubuntu.

  Setting default printer does not work

Status in “cups” package in Ubuntu:

  Setting default printer does not work.

  This is a nagging bug because it's affecting a commonly used, basic
  function.

  This bug persisted for a long time already.
  Upgrading from 13.10 to 14.04 did not help.

  In my system, there are three configured printers: 1) a locally
  connected one (which can be absent or not at boot) - 2) the same
  printer accessed over the network at another computer - 3) another
  network printer.

  Printer 3 should be the default printer, e.g. the one which is
  preselected when opening any print dialogue.

  One can set a default printer in system settings - printer. I did this
  many times. The check box is set (and is still set when re-entering
  the dialogue later or another time), but each time a print dialogue is
  accessed in any program, another printer is preselected and not
  printer 3.

  One can also set a default printer in the cups admin dialogue. This
  did not change the behavior. The desired printer is marked as default
  printer in the cups admin interface, but each time a print dialogue is
  accessed in e.g. okular, another printer is preselected. So one has to
  select each time the desired printer.

  Not having to do that each time is what the setting "default printer"
  (by whatever dialogue) is for, but it simply does not work.

  One thing I noticed is that in the /etc/cups/printers.conf, the
  desired printer (3) is marked as <DefaultPrinter Kyocera>, but the
  closing tag in this file is not named </DefaultPrinter> as one would
  expect but just </Printer>.

  Maybe there is a conflict between two different systems for setting a
  default printer (cups vs. system settings)?