Messenger also doesn't work for me in Empathy.
It works in Pidgin, though. So the servers are still working.

The linked "gnome bugs" bug is to "Remove chat support from Windows Live
provider", so it's quite different from this one.

Packages, which is subscribed to empathy in Ubuntu.

  Windows Live account doesn't login on Ubuntu 14.04 beta

Status in Chat app, and Telepathy user interface:
  Fix Released
Status in “empathy” package in Ubuntu:

  eduar@envy4:~$ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      14.04

  eduar@envy4:~$ apt-cache policy empathy
  empathy:
    Instalados: 3.8.6-0ubuntu7
    Candidato:  3.8.6-0ubuntu7
    Tabla de versión:
   *** 3.8.6-0ubuntu7 0
          500 http://co.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/main amd64 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  eduar@envy4:~$ apt-cache policy telepathy-gabble
  telepathy-gabble:
    Instalados: 0.18.2-1
    Candidato:  0.18.2-1
    Tabla de versión:
   *** 0.18.2-1 0
          500 http://co.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/main amd64 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  Hello all. I'm trying to setup my Windows Live account (@outlook.com)
  in Empathy. It used to work OK on Ubuntu 12.04.4 64 bits. However, in
  14.04 it doesn't works. When I add an account, it asks me for my
  username and password, I give it permissions to access my data, and
  the account is shown OK on the "Online accounts" window. However, when
  I go Online, Empathy shows a wheel in the middle, just turning around,
  but nothing else happens. After a while, it gives me a red error
  message "x...@outlook.com Network error"

  I have the debug in pastebin: http://pastebin.com/8vQdM4Pg

  Thanks!

  Package: empathy 3.8.6-0ubuntu7