Public bug reported:

In Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on x86_64 I am experiencing the following bug in
libgif-dev 4.1.6-11:

Symbol links for libungif.a, libungif.la, and libungif.so are created in
/usr/lib that point to libgif.a, libgif.la and libgif.so.4.1.6
respectively. However, these files are not in /usr/lib but in
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu. Therefore, the symbol links are invalid.

I suggest fixing this by placing the symbol links in the same directory
as the target files.

** Affects: giflib (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to giflib in Ubuntu.

  Invalid symlinks for libungif.so and libungif.a

Status in “giflib” package in Ubuntu: