Hi,

Problem could be that you have other packages installed in the xorg-driver
package which were pulled automatically when you installed X. That means
you have probably other modules and dependencies unresolved. What I did was
first of all removing all unecessary xorg driver packages, xorg modules
which has nothing to do with this configuration anyway. Then I copied only
the corresponding package content from 12.04 (that is in my hack tar.gz).

My package list is therfore pretty lean:
dpkg -l | grep xorg
ii  xorg
1:7.7+1ubuntu8                        amd64        X.Org X Window System
ii  xorg-docs-core
1:1.7-1                               all          Core documentation for
the X.org X Window System
ii  xserver-xorg
1:7.7+1ubuntu8                        amd64        X.Org X server
ii  xserver-xorg-core
2:1.15.1-0ubuntu2                     amd64        Xorg X server - core
server
ii  xserver-xorg-input-evdev
1:2.8.2-1ubuntu2                      amd64        X.Org X server -- evdev
input driver
ii  xserver-xorg-input-mouse
1:1.9.0-1build1                       amd64        X.Org X server -- mouse
input driver
ii  xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse
1:13.0.0-1build1                      amd64        X.Org X server --
VMMouse input driver to use with VMWare
ii  xserver-xorg-video-mga
1:1.6.3-1build1                       amd64        X.Org X server -- MGA
display driver
rc  xserver-xorg-video-vmware
1:13.0.2-2ubuntu1                     amd64        X.Org X server -- VMware
display driver

hope that helps

Regards,
Zoltan

> I am having exactly the same issue as this on two brand new Dell
> PowerEdge R360 which I am setting up for the first time. This server is
> also certified for use with 14.04 LTS
> http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/hardware/201207-11432/
>
> I tried to apply Zoltan's hack but ended up with a system that won't
> boot. I guess this is something to do with the fact that Grub is using
> the framebuffer otherwise I can't see how the changes would stop even a
> text screen appearing.
>
> In the end I installed 12.04 which works almost flawlessly (resizing
> windows is still painfully slow). However given these are new servers I
> would like to start them off with the latest LTS.
>
> Zoltan if you read this please could you give any hint why we are
> getting different results with the hack?
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1316035
>
> Title:
>   matrox g200eR2 is unclaimed in 14.04
>
> Status in “xorg-server” package in Ubuntu:
>   Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
>   On a certified Dell PowerEdge T620 server
>   (http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/hardware/201207-11426/)
>
>   The matrox video card is not recognised:
>   lspci | grep VGA
>   0a:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Electronics Systems Ltd.
> G200eR2
>
>   lshw -C display
>     *-display UNCLAIMED
>          product: G200eR2
>          vendor: Matrox Electronics Systems Ltd.
>          physical id: 0
>          bus info: pci@0000:0a:00.0
>          version: 00
>          width: 32 bits
>          clock: 33MHz
>          capabilities: pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list
>          configuration: latency=64 maxlatency=32 mingnt=16
>          resources: memory:d8000000-d8ffffff memory:deffc000-deffffff
> memory:de000000-de7fffff
>
>   Thus xserver is not hardver accelerated.
>
>   Also /dev/dri and /dev/dri/card0 is missing.
>
>   kernel module mga is not loaded, although if i manually load by modprobe
> it works fine
>   modprobe mga
>   lsmod | grep mga
>   mga                    40811  0
>   drm                   302817  1 mga
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:

Packages, which is subscribed to xorg-server in Ubuntu.