I'm having the same problem with thunderbird, but not with firefox.
What compiz update fixes this?

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  Thunderbird 24.4 freezes very frequently with grey screen under Ubuntu
  14.04

Status in “thunderbird” package in Ubuntu:

  Thunderbird package version 1:24.4.0+build1-0ubuntu1

  Since update from Ubuntu 12.04 to Ubuntu 14.04, I have many many
  freezes, mostly under Thunderbird (but also under Firefox). I have 4
  accounts (plus local folders). They handles thousands of mails, for a
  total amount of 4 GB on the HDD. All the accounts use the IMAP(S)
  protocol.

  My machine is a Dell Latitude E6520, with a Core i7 CPU, 8 GB RAM
  (less than 4 GB used now). My HDD is a SSD (Samsung 830), htop says
  CPU is very quiet, iotop says there's no IO peak at all.

  Everything was OK under Ubuntu 12.04.

  Please do something, this makes Thunderbird almost unusable, thus
  Ubuntu 14.04 unusable. Many thanks in advance.