Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make Ubuntu
better. Please execute the following command, as it will automatically gather
debugging information, in a terminal:
apport-collect BUGNUMBER
When reporting bugs in the future please use apport by using 'ubuntu-bug' and
the name of the package affected. You can learn more about this functionality
at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReportingBugs.

** Changed in: xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in Ubuntu.

  Mythbuntu/Ubuntu 14.04 install nomodeset hangs kernel

Status in “xserver-xorg-video-intel” package in Ubuntu:

  fresh install on Q35 intel (amd64) motherboard hangs with launch of
  intel Xorg.

  Mythbuntu/Ubuntu 14.04 iso boots are identical.  Setting nomodeset
  causes no improvement (nor does acpi tags).

  A mini.iso install of 14.04 works fine with no extra kernel
  parameters.

  After installation, tasksel to install mythbuntu frontend completes
  successfully.  Rebooting exhibits identical behavior when Xorg tries
  to launch.

  If I put in nomodeset, X launches OK, but I'm stuck at 800x600.

  10.04 works fine.

  Attached is 10.04 dmesg and xorg log.

  Also is 14.04 nomodeset bootable.

  Let me know what else you want me to poke at, I've got it set up so I
  can take it down in pockets when it's not scheduled to record.