It appears LuaTeX only supports OTF, and not TT.  So, you fontforge to
convert your fonts.  It doesn't seem to like Bold Fonts - maybe this is
a seperate bug?

** Changed in: texlive-base (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to texlive-base in Ubuntu.

  LuaTeX can't find a font that XeTeX finds just fine

Status in “texlive-base” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  I found this while testing BUG#1345992.

  The font its having trouble with is Caudex, which you can find
  anywhere (including Google Fonts) so I won't waste bandwith by
  uploading it here unless someone needs me to.   I actually was using a
  tweaked version (bolder, made sure smallcaps was in it, etc - lots of
  fontforge hacks), but the problem exists with the version from Google
  as well.  XeTeX loads it just fine ... but XeTeX won't recognize
  SmallCaps!

  If we could fix either one ...