Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: thunderbird (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  Thunderbird hogs CPU while waiting for master password

Status in “thunderbird” package in Ubuntu:

  1) Ubuntu 12.10

  2) Package: thunderbird
  Architecture: i386
  Version: 17.0.7+build1-0ubuntu0.12.10.1

  3) expected behaviour:
  * I start Thunderbird
  * Thunderbird idles at less than 1% CPU usage (I don't let it fetch mails at
start up)
  * I click "Get Mail" and Thunderbird asks me to enter the master password.
  * While Thunderbird is waiting for me to enter the master password, it should
use the same amount of ressources as it does when ideling.
  * After entering the master password, Thunderbrid fetches the mail and then
idles at less than 1% CPU usage

  4) current behaviour:
  * I start Thunderbird
  * Thunderbird idles at less than 1% CPU usage (I don't let it fetch mails at
start up)
  * I click "Get Mail" and Thunderbird asks me to enter the master password.
  * While Thunderbird is waiting for me to enter the master password,
Thunderbird hogs up to 40% of my CPU until the master password is entered.
  * After entering the master password, Thunderbrid fetches the mail and then
idles at less than 1% CPU usage

  5) additional info:
  I use three POP and one IMAP account.