Everything worked fine in 12.04 TLS, now I can't view movies properly
because of distortions (both online video and files from my drive),
compiz uses about 40% of CPU. Any help?

Packages, which is subscribed to compiz in Ubuntu.

  Compiz CPU usage dramatically increased in Ubuntu 14.04

Status in Compiz:
  Triaged
Status in “compiz” package in Ubuntu:

  It appears that the workload of low-level graphical operations used by
  compiz when, for example, moving windows has increased dramatically
  between Ubuntu 12.04 and Ubuntu 14.04.

  This might not be that visible when using high-end gpus, but should be
  clearly visible when using compiz on llvmpipe and to some-extent
  invalidates the approach of using compiz on top of llvmpipe as a
  fallback when no GPU is available:

  How to reproduce:
  1) Use the unity-3d desktop in Ubuntu 14.04 on top of a non-accelerating Xorg
driver like "modesetting". Move windows around. Note peak and average cpu-usage.

  How to verify compiz is the culprit:
  1) copy /usr/bin/compiz from a Ubuntu 12.04 installation. Drop it in as
/usr/bin/compiz on 14.04. Reboot. Perform the same window movement. CPU-usage
should be substantially lower.

  This problem also affects VMs running on VMware ESX with a software-
  rendering GPU. Window movement becomes sluggish, which suggests that
  even with GPUs, compiz has increased the number of operations required
  to move windows.