Public bug reported:

If I'm exporting an working OpenVPN configuration over the export button to a
*.conf file, the "auth" field, eg. auth SHA256, is missing in the *.conf file.
At a import of the *.conf file the "auth" field is recognised.
All my 4 machines with Ubuntu 14.04 showing same bug.

Workaround: Add "auth SHA256" on the *.config file or whatever HMAC do
you use.

Release:        14.04
network-manager:
  Installiert:           0.9.8.8-0ubuntu7
  Installationskandidat: 0.9.8.8-0ubuntu7
  Versionstabelle:
 *** 0.9.8.8-0ubuntu7 0
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

** Affects: network-manager (Ubuntu)

** Tags: auth config hmac network-manager openvpn vpn

  Exporting a OpenVPN configuration does not save the "auth" filed

Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu: