There is a Blog Message that can help:

http://blog.ostermiller.org/ubuntu-usb-audio/

If it doesn't work and your login is more than 7 letters long, adjust
the format-option in the line 62 from "ps axc -o user,command" to "ps
axc -o user:XXX,command", where XXX  is the length of your login+1

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  USB headset mic not picked when I plug headset in

Status in “pulseaudio” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: pulseaudio

  Whenever I plugged in my old audio jack headset, sound was immediately
  diverted from my speakers to the headset speakers, and the microphone
  was immediately available.

  When I plug in my new USB headset, I have to open Sound Preferences
  and switch both input to the headset. (Output is selected
  automatically, but I'm not sure if the first time it wasn't.)

  Aparrently this is a bug, not a configuration problem on my side. This may be
a duplicate of or related to the following bugs - but none of these bugs
described my specific issue (USB headset mic is not automatically picked):
   * https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-media/+bug/491055
   * https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/443306
   * https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/640328
   *
http://askubuntu.com/questions/21472/how-can-i-automatically-switch-to-usb-headset-when-plugged-in

  I'm using a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Pi laptop, Maverick and a Logitech
  H330 USB headset.