Well as you correctly pointed out, XScreenSaver uses its own DPMS
settings and ignores the settings of the Xserver. The power manager
instead uses the Xserver's DPMS interface, so the two can never really
correspond. So this really isn't a bug in xfce4-power-manager.

However, we might in a future version of xfpm include a tab to handle
screensavers/lockscreens, where the user can select which software he
wants to handle the locking. When XScreenSaver would be selected there,
we could make all the DPMS and blanking related controls insensitive so
that the settings can only be edited in XScreenSaver's own settings UI.

But that's about everything that can be done about this bug imo. Making
xfpm override XScreenSaver's settings isn't really possible afaik.

Packages, which is subscribed to xscreensaver in Ubuntu.

  xscreensaver and xfce4-power-manager conflict

Status in Xfce4 Power Manager:
  Invalid
Status in “xfce4-power-manager” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “xscreensaver” package in Ubuntu:

  I am using Xubuntu 11.04 and 11.10. If I set up xscreensaver, it
  prevents xfce4-power-manager from shutting off my monitor. It seems
  that I am forced to use one or the other. This is unfortunate, because
  xscreensaver has some features I like (like fading to black and
  locking the screen after a certain period), but xfce4-power-manager
  has other features I like, such as different behavior on battery vs.
  AC.