Because some people here apparently treat silence as "I guess this is
fixed", I'll spam here and say this keeps happening for me regularly as
well. I've tried various things, killing the process, killing the
directory IIRC, but it keeps coming back with 100%, maybe once a week or
so, but it's irregular.

1.
I've probably seen 100 posts on the Internet saying to delete the metadata
folder, but that's not a solution:
Even if it does get corrupted, the program MUST NOT go crazy and into an
infinite loop or hog the CPU.
That said, I do NOT think that metadata file corruption is the problem, because
the problem keeps coming back for me.

2.
I have huge NFS drives with many files mounted. If it tries to index or capture
them, then it's sure to cause problems. People above said that it tries to
index Samba drives. That's massively misguided and should not happen. It should
only index local drives. Network drives can be huge, and often contain data
that's not important to this user, but to other employees. In my case, it's
media files (TV recordings, music etc.), but still *way* too huge to be indexed
on the client. Even attempting to do this is braindead (this is technical term,
not an insult).

3.
Last, but most importantly, no program has the right to index all my drives
without my *explicit* permission. Ask me, once. Give me a choice of which
drives I want indexed, and where that index should be stored.
This can be dangerous. People regularly keep private stuff on a physical USB
drive, for the explicit reason to not leave trails on the local computer -
whatever reason they might have. Having metadata about files stored on a
*different* drive (partition) is a privacy threat by its very nature and should
never be done without explicit user approval.

This stuff is totally misguided and should be disabled RIGHT NOW, then
fixed, then it can be enabled again.

Packages, which is subscribed to gvfs in Ubuntu.

  gvfsd-metadata causes 100% CPU usage

Status in “gvfs” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: gvfs

  My disk space was really full at one moment, no byte left free. People say,
that does corrupt the files in the ~/.local/share/gvfs-metadata folder, so the
gvfsd-metadata can't read it without being screwed up.
  Workaround: run "rm -rf ~/.local/share/gvfs-metadata"

  Expected results:
  gvfsd-metadata should be able to handle the no space left situation.

  --- Original description ---
  After installing 9.10 Ubuntu 64bit browsing and opening folder in nautilus or
Gnome-commander take several minutes when there are many files in it e.g.
10.000. Interestingly Midnight-commander does not have this problem. Opening
such folders does not hang with MC.
  Using "top" i can see that "gvfsd-metadata" is using 100% CPU and when i kill
it the computer stops "hanging". I am using the 32bit version of Karmic too and
there is no such Problem (although tested on a different computer).

  Please fix this because it is highly annyoing. Right now i am killing
  it every 20s with the watch command to be able to work at all.