I can't believe this is another 5+ year old bug that is still
unresolved. I am experiencing this issue on Ubuntu/Xubuntu 11.04. The
problem is that somehow dpms calls are being made to turn the backlight
back on when a mouse event occurs, even though the lid is still shut.

I ran into some difficulty because the Ubuntu acpi-support scripts don't
run if they detect a desktop (gnome/kde/xfce/etc) power-manager app
running. It's a pain to have to kill those, because I lose all GUI-based
power management (battery indicator, etc.) on my laptop. However, I got
so fed up with this issue that I felt it was worth it to block the
power-manager app so that acpid could run the show.

In the end, the best solution I could find was to run lid.sh on a
1-minute recurring cron job. This forces the backlight off when the lid
is closed and on when it's open. Not a very elegant solution, but at
least I won't have to worry about burning out my laptop's monitor any
more.

Also vbetool did not work for me. Specifically, it was able to turn off
the backlight, but was not able to turn it back on. After using vbetool
to turn off the backlight, I had to switch to a text console and back to
get the backlight to come back on!

** Also affects: xfce4-power-manager

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-power-manager in Ubuntu.

  closed Laptop Lid to reliably keep Backlight off

Status in The Dell Project:
  Invalid
Status in Xfce4 Power Manager:
  New
Status in “gnome-power-manager” package in Ubuntu:

  Currently, on Dapper Beta 1, closing the laptop lid causes the
  backlight to shut off. However, for example when moving the mouse the
  backlight switches back on, even if the lid is still closed.

  The backlight should stay off as long as the lid is closed. There is
  no sense in trying to read a display in a closed lid.

  I am using a Dell Latitude X1.